01 October 2011

A Naan Starter


Get it? Naan starter? Because I'm starting this blog with naan? I'm hilarious?

This was my first try at naan, and I think it was pretty successful. These certainly came out just as good as a lot of the naan I've ordered in Indian restaurants.

Whole Wheat Naan
Heavily adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

makes 8-10 pieces

2 tsp. instant yeast
2/3 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
2 Tbsp. light olive oil, plus extra for brushing the naan
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Mix all ingredients to combine. If the dough seems too wet (mine did), add flour until it reaches a workable consistency. I had to add at least another cup of flour, but your mileage may vary.  Knead by hand or with the dough hook of a stand mixer for 10 minutes, or until the dough is soft and pliable, but not sticky.

Form dough into a ball and place into an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel, and let rise for 1 hour. After the dough has risen, divide into 8 or 10 pieces (I made 10 because I added so much extra flour), and roll into thin, oblong shapes. Brush with oil and cook in a pre-heated frying pan on medium-high heat until the dough bubbles.  Brush the top side with oil, flip, and cook through.


I promptly made an open-faced naanwich with pan-fried tofu, homemade hummus, and spinach. Delicious!


About my first ever Vegan MoFo: I don't really have a theme. I mostly aim to a) try new recipes and b) clean out my overstuffed pantry a little bit. I'm super excited to participate, and I hope I have the motivation to keep blogging after the month ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment