04 November 2011

Baked Brown Rice


I almost feel silly posting a recipe for plain rice, but this method seriously changed my life. It's absolutely foolproof, and it comes out perfect every time. I haven't bothered to cook rice on the stovetop once since I tried it in the oven, nor have I pulled out my rice cooker. I can't believe I ever felt compelled to purchase a rice cooker, anyway. I think I just wanted it because it was cute and red and on sale at Target.

If there was ever a doubt, Alton Brown proved his genius here. I altered the quantities in his recipe a little bit, but it's largely just copied from the Food Network web site.

Baked Brown Rice
Adapted from Alton Brown's recipe

1 1/2 cups brown rice (any variety)
2 1/3 cups water or vegetable broth
2 tsp. olive oil (try sesame oil instead!)
1/2 tsp. salt (omit if using salty broth)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Bring water to a boil on the stove. Combine rice, oil, and salt in an 8" oven-safe dish. Pour boiling water into the dish, stir, and cover with foil.

Bake for 1 hour.

I usually double the recipe and freeze some of it in individual portions. It makes meal prep really easy when I'm short on time (which is basically always).

2 comments:

JL Goes Vegan said...

That's an interesting idea! Fun with veggies, too, I suppose for something like a casserole. I have to say, though, that I'm a rice cooker nut. Nothing like putting water, rice, salt and earth balance in and 30 minutes later eating rice! But, frankly, I rarely make rice in it. I made quinoa, buckwheat, porridge and beans! LOL

Ashley said...

Yes, a casserole is a great idea! I've thrown in canned tomatoes and spices for a lazy Mexican rice, and that turned out great.

I will have to experiment more with my rice cooker. Currently it's just another useless appliance taking up space in the kitchen. I've never actually used it for anything other than rice, so perhaps I just need to get more creative with it.

Post a Comment